From 12 August 2022, inbound travellers from overseas places or Taiwan are subject to compulsory quarantine in a designated quarantine hotel for 3 days, followed by medical surveillance for 4 days. Please click here for more information.
Built in 1890, St Joseph’s Chapel was erected in Romanesque style by visiting missionaries who developed a strong relationship with the Hakka Chan clan. Before the turn of the century, the Hakka people had largely converted to Catholicism under the influence of the Roman Catholic priest Joseph Freinademetz. Some years later, the entire village was baptised in a ceremony. The chapel was dedicated to the island’s patron saint, and has since been named a UNESCO-listed heritage building, standing as a physical reminder of the impact St Joseph made on the villagers.