- International | English
- Australia | English
- Canada | English
- 中国 | 简体中文
- France | Français
- Deutschland | Deutsch
- India | English
- Indonesia | Bahasa Indonesia
- 日本 | 日本語
- 대한민국 | 한국어
- Malaysia | Bahasa Malaysia
- Nederland | Dutch
- New Zealand | English
- Россия | русский
- Southeast Asia | English
- España / América Latina | Español
Jewellery and Watches
With more jewellery stores per square kilometre than any other city in the world, Hong Kong’s obsession with ‘bling’ would make even the most audacious gangsta rapper gasp. It’s not just for show though, part of the reason behind this density of precious and semi-precious stones is the Chinese belief that they ward off bad luck, which also explains the local love affair with jade. This makes Asia’s world city one of the world’s largest jewellery exporters, and a tremendous place to do some shopping for value-for-money pearls, opals, gold ornaments, funky fashion jewellery, traditional jade amulets and bank-vault-worthy pieces.
Given that many Hong Kong folk have a plethora of watches for different occasions, it’s no surprise that the city has a vast supply of timepieces covering the entire spectrum, from the gimmicky to the masterpiece. Whether you want to spend a few dollars on something fun and funky, or pick up a bejewelled number for the cost of a family car, you certainly don’t need to leave Hong Kong with a bare wrist.
Where to find jewellery shops:
Jewellery shops can be found just about anywhere, but you can make things easier by narrowing your search down to:
- Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon
- Mong Kok, Kowloon
- Des Voeux Road Central, Central, Hong Kong Island
- Queen’s Road Central, Central, Hong Kong Island
- Hennessy Road, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong Island
- Yee Wo Street, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong Island.
The Jade Market in Yau Ma Tei is also a guaranteed fun few hours, whether you buy anything or not.
Shop smart with these useful contacts:
- Hong Kong Jewellers' & Goldsmiths' Association: +852 2543 9633
- Gemmological Association of Hong Kong (for a list of gem-testing laboratories): +852 2366 6006
Diamond Federation of Hong Kong, China Ltd (for diamonds and appraisals): +852 2524 5081