- Tsing Chung Path, Tsing Chung Koon Road, Tuen Mun, New Territories
- +852 2462 1507
Ching Chung Koon
Lü Dongbin, one of the Eight Immortals of Taoism, once likened a righteous person to an evergreen pine tree, which the Chinese call ‘ching chung’. It’s from this metaphor that Ching Chung, a temple complex of the Dragon Gate sect of the Quanzhen School of Taoism, got its name.
First opened as a rural retreat in 1961, Ching Chung Koon has since undergone extensive renovations and expansion. The payoff is now a popular scenic getaway for the residents of Tuen Mun, a final resting home for the cremated remains of former community members, and a place of refined beauty and charm.
The main building is the Palace of Pure Brightness, which holds the temple’s most prized relics: lanterns bestowed by the Beijing Imperial Palace (commonly known as the Forbidden City). To see what fine Chinese calligraphy looks like, head to the Hall of Cloud and Water, where several good examples hang. These were created by scholars in the 1970s as tributes to the full moon during the Mid-Autumn Festival.
Dotted around the exquisitely designed grounds are pagodas, pavilions, pai laus (ornamental archways), quadrangles, towers, Chinese gardens and fish ponds; all complemented by trees, shrubs, flowers and potted plants. In April or May each year, a fantastic bonsai exhibition containing hundreds of the artistically shaped trees is held in Ching Chung Koon.
Ching Chung Koon’s vegetarian restaurant can cater to your more earthly needs.
MTR Siu Hong Station, then take a taxi; or take Light Rail 505 to Ching Chung Station.