Strategic MICE Business
MICE (Meetings, Incentives, Conventions and Exhibitions) tourism is vital for attracting more high-yield visitors and underlining Hong Kong’s leading position as an international city in Asia. During the year, the HKTB’s Meetings & Exhibitions Hong Kong (MEHK) office worked closely with the industry partners to attract more MICE visitors to Hong Kong and enhance their in-town experience.
Bidding for mega MICE events
- Overnight MICE arrivals in 2017: 1.93 million, a year-on-year increase of 1.9%
- Per capita spending of overnight MICE visitors: over $8,500, 33% higher than the average of all overnight visitors
- Source of MICE visitors: a balanced mix, with 51% from the Mainland, about 28% from the short-haul markets and 21% from the long-haul markets
The HKSAR Government has allocated additional funding to the HKTB to bid for large-scale events. In 2017, Hong Kong successfully secured 32 international MICE events which are in large scale or with strategic value, generating 107,000 high-yield MICE visitors. The events included:
- Mary Kay China Leadership Conference 2019 (24,000 pax)
- Cloud Expo Asia & Data Centre World 2018 (14,500 pax)
- Herbalife Asia Pacific Extravaganza 2019 (18,000 pax)
- Asian Attractions Expo 2018 (9,000 pax)
- International Congress of Parkinson's Disease & Movement Disorders (MDS Congress) 2018 (4,000 pax)
- Asia-Pacific Vitreo-retina Society Congress (APVRS) 2020 (1,800 pax)
Strengthening strategic partnerships
- In 2017/18, we hosted 15 study missions, familiarisation tours and Contract Hong Kong events to showcase Hong Kong’s MICE products, venues and latest developments to 210 trade partners from different markets
- The MEHK continued to actively participate in key trade shows and events in different markets with its trade partners to reach out to international buyers, corporations and MICE travel agents. The trade shows we took part in during the year included Incentive Travel & Conventions, Meetings (IT&CM) in the Mainland, SATTE in India, and IMEX in Germany and the US. About 70 Hong Kong trade partners including hotels, venues and attractions joined us at these four events.
- We continued to strengthen our partnership with the American Society of Association Executives (ASAE), HelmsBriscoe (HB), International Association of Professional Congress Organisers (IAPCO), International Congress and Convention Association (ICCA), etc. Through such collaborations and the communications platforms of these organisations including e-channels, annual events and industry conferences, we expanded our network and enhanced Hong Kong’s profile. In 2017, these partnerships helped us identify 42 business leads for quality conventions.
- To uphold Hong Kong’s image as the “Trade Fair Capital of Asia”, joint promotions were organised at overseas industry events, such as the UFI Congress, with key Hong Kong industry players, including AsiaWorld-Expo, the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre, the Hong Kong Exhibition & Convention Industry Association and the Hong Kong Trade Development Council.
Enhancing trade support
- In 2017, we introduced a revolutionary upgrade to the Hong Kong Rewards! programme with the aim of introducing new dining and entertainment options at world-class attractions for MICE groups to enhance their in-town experience. Value-added rewards included free-of-charge cocktail receptions offered by about 50 hotels, complimentary dinners and attractive shopping discounts at Hong Kong Disneyland and fun-filled entertainment and a free combo meal at Ocean Park Hong Kong, and free food and beer at Hong Kong Jockey Club’s Happy Wednesday carnival-themed events.
- With additional funding from the Government, a pilot scheme was introduced in 2016 to support local travel agents to attract small and medium-sized Meeting, Incentive and Convention (MIC) groups to Hong Kong. In 2017/18, the HKTB supported over 430 applications, which attracted about 35,000 visitors from MIC segments.
- The largest-ever Top MICE Agent Awards Ceremony and Familiarisation Trip organised by the HKTB in early 2018 recognised over 70 top MICE agents from the Mainland, India, Indonesia and South Korea, and brought them first-hand experiences of Hong Kong’s latest MICE products and offerings.